Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Carpe Diem #1194 Cherry Blossom (Sakura)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy ... today I may share a post about one of my favorite themes in haiku (and recently tanka), Cherry Blossom (Sakura).
As you maybe know I have an old Sakura in the backyard and I am proud of it. Every late winter and early spring I am observing it and every time again as I see the first cherry blossoms I am happy. That day is a day to celebrate and I love it every year again.

In our CDHK library you can find an e-book titled "fragile beauty" in which I have gathered a lot of my cherry blossom haiku and (I think) it is a wonderful e-book to read and to inspire you.

My Sakura 2013 (photo © Chèvrefeuille)
Maybe you have heard from the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (VCBF). The VCBF organises every year again during their festival a haiku invitational  and I have submitted haiku almost every year since 2010. I even had the honor that in 2010 and in 2013 one of my haiku received a honorable mention. Maybe this year my haiku will be again honored .... we will see. I submitted two haiku and upcoming September the VCBF will announce the winners. I am looking forward to it.

Here are a few haiku crafted by Basho (1644-1694) about Cherry Blossoms. Maybe you know them, for sure that last one you know I think, because that haiku is an example of Basho's karumi-style his live's goal challenge.

from among the peach trees
blooming everywhere,
the first cherry blossoms.

a lovely spring night 
suddenly vanished while we 
viewed cherry blossoms

from every direction 
cherry blossom petals blow 
into Lake Biwa 

from all these trees – 
in salads, soups, everywhere – 
cherry blossoms fall

© Basho

Cherry Blossoms (photo found on Pinterest)
Cherry Blossoms so fragile but so beautiful. A rich source for haiku (and tanka) I think this episode can give you enough inspiration and joy. So have fun!

I have created an all new haiku for this episode and I have tried to create it the classical way:

on a gust of wind
the cherry blossoms dance through the streets
in praise of the Creator

© Chèvrefeuille

Is this a classical haiku? Let me take a closer look:

5-7-5 syllables  check
a short moment  check
a kigo  check (cherry blossom)
a kireji  check (after the first line)
interchangeable first and third line  check

in praise of the Creator
the cherry blossoms dance through the streets
on a gust of wind

And last, but not least, a deeper meaning  check (Creator, but also wind, the wind is the messenger of the gods)

Well ... I hope you did like this new episode and I hope I have inspired you to create haiku or tanka with this classical kigo, cherry blossom.

!! I am behind with commenting, but I will visit you all a.s.a.p. !!!

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until April 24th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new "weekend-meditation", a new episode of Universal Jane, later on. For now ... enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment